Why carbs are not the enemy. Let’s talk Low Carb Diets…
- The Keto Diet is one of the fastest growing diets on the market
- When we learned the truth about process carbs and sugar being the major factors for weigh gain it was easy for food marketing companies to package this into a diet plan
- The Ketogenic Diet: This low-carb plan is intended to put your body into ketosis, a natural process that occurs when you restrict glucose and start burning fat as a fuel source. People on this type of diet usually eat less than 50 grams of carbs a day. Think of it as an even more carb-restrictive, fat-heavy form of Paleo or Atkins, which both glorify protein and fat and villainize carbs.
- Your number one challenge over 40 is managing stress. That’s because as stress levels rise, estrogen and progesterone fall, and your metabolic see-saw practically grinds to a halt. That makes a big difference in how you should eat. The best way to get stress under control and rebalance the see-saw is by changing when you eat your carbs
- A lot of people avoid carbs because they’ve heard carbs make you fat. That’s not true. No single type of food makes you fat. Obviously you can’t eat 60 loafs of bread and expect a flat belly. That will cause a nasty spike in insulin – the primary hormone that promotes fat storage.
- On the other hand, you can’t swear off carbs all-together. That’s because when your body doesn’t get enough carbs, it can cause an equally nasty spike in the stress hormone cortisol.
- Your body uses cortisol as an emergency fuel producer when you don’t have enough carbs. And one way it creates that fuel is by breaking down muscle tissue.
- Unfortunately, cortisol also interferes with your fat burning hormones. Eat too many carbs and insulin is the problem. Eat too few carbs and cortisol is the problem, so we don’t want you to slash the number of carbs you eat.
- The trick is to eat them at the right times. when they work best with your Hormone Type.
That said, there are positive about the Keto Diet, I like how Keto motivates people into eating less processed food but when you take out a whole macronutrient for long term, in my experience of my female clients I see side effects like major headaches, migraines, brain fog, lack of energy, grumpiness, irritability, constipation, bloatedness, skin issues etc.
So if your goal is to lose weight to make yourself feel more confident and sexy and you’re getting these side effects, are you really achieving what you want to achieve?
I mean, I don’t feel confident, happy or sexy when I am constipated or have a headache!
Links mentioned in this episode:
– Why Keto Doesn’t Work for Women over 40
– Strength Training & Carbs
– Episode 19: Carb Cycling – The answer to fat loss in your 40s
– The 6 Week Transformation Challenge
– 7 Day Carb Cycling Guide
Download your FREE PDF Guide The 7 Day Carb Cycling Guide here:
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
Are you subscribed to my podcast? If you’re not, I want to encourage you to do that today. I don’t want you to miss an episode. I’m adding a bunch of bonus episodes to the mix and if you’re not subscribed there’s a good chance you’ll miss out on those. Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
Now if you’re feeling extra loving, I would be really grateful if you left me a review over on iTunes, too. Those reviews help other people find my podcast and they’re also fun for me to go in and read. Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is. Thank you!
OTHER WAYS TO ENJOY THIS POST:
Download on iTunes
Listen on Spotify
Join the Tribe of Warrior Kettlebell Goddesses Facebook Group