This is a Lisa adaptation of an adapation from Veganangela a great Vegan recipe resource site. This is one of the most amazing salads I have ever tasted and made and is 100% vegan which means no dairy or meat and it’s 100% gluten free… it’s just my dream come true!
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans (or kidney beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 small punnet (200g) grape/plum tomatoes
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 large avocado, peeled, seeded, and diced
- ½ cup diced cucumber (seeds removed)
- ½ cup sweet corn (canned or frozen/defrosted)
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lime, for juicing over the salad
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro (fresh coriander)
Creamy Avocado Dressing
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and seeded
- 2 desert spoons of plain soy yoghurt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro (fresh coriander)
- 1 tablespoon tahini (or just add a desert spoon of sesame seeds)
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (I put a whole juiced lime in)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅛ tsp chili powder
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste (heavy on the salt to bring out the flavour of the avocadoes)
- Place the quinoa along with 2 cups pre salted water in a medium saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce to the lowest heat setting. Simmer until water is completely absorbed and quinoa is fluffy, about 15-20 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, make the Creamy Avocado Dressing. Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, beans, tomatoes, orange peppers, avocado, cucumber, corn, red onion. Pour dressing over quinoa salad and stir until salad is well coated. Season with salt and pepper. Squeeze fresh lime juice over the salad, so the avocado doesn’t brown. Garnish with chopped cilantro/coriander and serve at room temperature or chilled.