Vegetarian Bean & Chickpea Chilli
- 1 tsp ghee or coconut oil
- 1 large white onion, finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- a large pinch of sea salt
- a pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 400 g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 140 ml vegetable stock (made with one organic stock cube)
- 400 g tinned chickpeas, drained
- 400 g tinned black-eyed beans, drained
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 small handful fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp sour cream (optional)
- 40 g Cheddar cheese, grated (use dairy-free if preferred)
- Heat the ghee/oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until caramelised.
- Add the garlic and fry for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the tomato purée, salt, pepper, cumin, ground coriander, and chilli powder. Stir well. Add the tinned tomatoes and stock. Stir well.
- Increase heat and bring to a gentle simmer. Add the beans and chickpeas, stir well and simmer gently for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and fresh coriander. Stir well and add more salt and pepper, if required. Leave to stand for 5 minutes. Serve topped with cheese and sour cream.
- Serving suggestion: Serve on a bed of steamed rice with leafy green vegetables.
- Store any leftover chilli in an airtight container and refrigerate for 4 days or freeze on the same day.
Serves 3 Per serving:
- 377 calories
- 13 g fat
- 45 g carbs
- 20 g protein