Spinach & Mushroom Fritatta
- 2 whole eggs, beaten and seasoned
- 4 egg whites, beaten and seasoned with the whole egg
- 2 cups (60g/2.1 oz.) baby spinach
- 200g (7.1 oz.) mushrooms, sliced
- 60g (2.1 oz.) feta cheese
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml/1.5 fl. oz.) extra virgin coconut oil
- Pinch of turmeric
- 1 sprig flat leaf parsley, stems removed and finely chopped
- 1 sprig oregano, stems removed and finely chopped (option: rosemary or thyme)
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC (375ºF).
- Meanwhile, add 2 tablespoons of oil to a frying pan and place over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot add the mushrooms and cook for a few minutes until they start to brown.
- Add the onion and leek and cook for another few minutes until they start to brown.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the spinach and cook until the spinach starts to wilt.
- Season with salt and pepper and then remove from heat.
- Place another frying pan over low to medium heat.
- Add some oil and heat up.
- Whilst pan is heating up, whisk egg and egg whites in a bowl together with the turmeric and any other spice you might want to add. Set aside.
- Add the vegetables to the second sauté pan and then add the egg mixture.
- Cook the frittata on the stove for a few minutes, or until it starts to set.
- Whilst the frittata is cooking, mix half the fresh herbs with the feta cheese in a bowl.
- Once the frittata begin to set, sprinkle the cheese and herb mix on top.
- Place the pan into the oven and let cook until the centre of the frittata is firm.
- Remove the frittata from the oven and place on a chopping board.
- Let cool and then slice up and serve with the kale, sweet potato and avocado salad on page 25.
Place the remaining 2 serves in the freezer.