A superhealthy supper or lunch that’s perfect for a busy lunchtime or weeknight, try making double the beans and freezing for next time.
Prep: 10 mins Cook: 25 mins
Skill level: Easy
Servings: Serves 2
- 4 small sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika, plus extra to serve
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- splash of Worcestershire sauce (Lancashire sauce is a veggie option)
- 2 x 400g cans mixed beans in water, drained
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 4 tbsp light soured cream, to serve
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Pierce the sweet potatoes a few times with a fork, then cook them in the microwave on High for 8 mins or until soft. Rub with 1 tsp of the paprika, 1 tsp of the oil and some seasoning. Transfer to a baking tray, put in the oven and cook for 10-15 mins until crispy.
- Meanwhile, make the beans. Cook the onion in the remaining oil until soft. Add the garlic, sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and the remaining paprika, and cook for a further 1-2 mins until sticky. Tip in the beans, tomatoes and a splash of water, and simmer until the sweet potatoes are ready.
- Serve the sweet potatoes with the beans on top, a dollop of soured cream and a pinch of paprika, if you like.
Nutrition per serving
This is an amazing and super healthy recipe that kids love too. Try it now and leave a comment below or share with your friends on Facebook.